Friday, January 30, 2009

Jedi Noodles

Naptime disappeared around here many many months ago. Inevitably, however, someone tops out my whine meter and is sent stomping to his room in tears for a sleep adjustment. As luck would have it, this is the story today. And I must say, my stress level has decreased exponentially since Mr. Grumpy Pants (aka Grant) slipped off into dreamland. Ever notice how angelic children become when they're asleep? I think it has something to do with ones inability to mouth off when in a comatose state.

Anyway, we had to forgo lunch with my mom today so Mr. Grumpy Pants could sleep off all that whine he apparently drank this morning, which left me rummaging through our pantry in search of something, anything, other than a sandwich to eat. Much to my surprise, I discovered a long forgotten package of Ramen Noodles hiding under what might have once been a package of cinnamon-raisin bagels. Jackpot! Yes, I was one of those weirdo college kids who bought Ramen Noodles because I liked them and not just because they allowed you to feed yourself for a whole month on whatever coinage you could dig out from between the couch cushions. And you gotta admit, it's pretty cool to watch that block of noodle boil itself into one loooooong noodle (that's what it looks like anyway). So then my brain clicks on, "How do you EAT these things? Fork? Spoon? Chopsticks like the Chinese? Except I don't think these are actually Chinese at all....the package says they're made in Hoboken. Oh well. Fork AND spoon then." And while I'm reading how they're Made in the U.S.A., I happen to glance over the Nutrition Facts. 780 mg of sodium PER SERVING AND THERE'S 2 FREAKIN' SERVINGS IN THE PACKAGE! So like the good healthy girl I am, I promptly poured the whole bowl down the drain and ate a salad instead. Actually that's a total lie. I ate the entire bowl and then drank 14 glasses of water. But I don't think I'll boil up any more Ramen I find lurking in the pantry.

On a completely unrelated note, a war between the Jedi and Sith has been raging in our house since Jaden was old enough to hold his lightsaber. In a particularly fierce battle yesterday evening, Jedi Master Grumpy Pants suffered a terrible setback when he broke his lightsaber while dueling with the evil Sith lord Darth Daddy. And while this mommy is sitting on the couch horrified they were saber-fighting hard enough to actually break the stupid toy, all 3 boys are cheering and dancing around the living room, er, battle field, at this manly accomplishment. Lord save me.

And in case you were wondering how Master Jedi Grumpy Pants managed to become such a fearsome warrior, here's a shot of his training regimen...getting buff with Wii Fit.


7 comments:

Mary said...

I feel your pain with the broken light-saber. However, I usually am thinking, "Great, how much do these cost, 'cause I'm gonna have to buy another one!" fHunter likes those foam swords and they break so easily.

Stacey said...

Ol Ramen Noodles! Love that. I have three members of the household that LOVE them. Me..no..but I will agree with the fascination part. And, ditto with the "battles" at our casa too. I just sit and pray we aren't heading to ER any minute. Boys. (all 3 of them)

kristen lewis said...

Surely my sweet Grant would never be grumpy! Carter is still a big napper and I am ever so thankful. Granted he poops his pants at least twice a day, but that is somehow more tolerable because he leaves me alone for a few hours in the afternoon.

Staci said...

Currently laughing out loud!!! You should write a book! And we could read it for book club. And I would actually read it since you wrote it. And I'm up past my bedtime, so please excuse my silliness.

Unknown said...

You boy people. Sometimes I wish I was part of the club. No sword fights here, just screaming and whining fights over dolls, I mean tickle fights in our panties.

On a side note Ramens are also very high in weight watchers points... like 16 per package.

The Barnyards said...

Hilarious!! I love the picture of Grant doing wii fit! :) Oh my, life with boys!

Lori E. said...

You are sooooo funny Angie, I love your blog!!! Who has ever read the nutrition facts of Ramen Noodles......it is not for nutrition, it is to fill a void only.....but how educational and 16 weight watcher points per package....I think (obviously not a big follower) that--that is the equivalence of 4 Taco Villa bean burritos. THAT would fill a void!!!!