Saturday, February 21, 2009

Jaden and Angie's Wild Ride

Four states in one day. Whew! Jaden thinks this is seriously cool. I think it’s ridiculous to have to fly in every direction except the one you intend before you can get where you’re going. At least there weren’t any delays or travel mishaps during our 4 state journey. And really, how often does one have the opportunity to visit Alba-cookie, NM? Ahhh…the inner workings of a child’s mind. Next, we toured the greater mid-west up to Chicago. Jaden was disappointed we couldn’t get out and play in the snow. Frankly, I was too. It would’ve been nice for Lubbock to at least try to be wintry once this year. Oh well. So now we are currently en route to Norfolk, VA...our final destination. Sort of. We’ll actually drive to Newport News tonight, then on to Richmond tomorrow.

Jaden in the Alba-cookie airport

But regardless of the crazy flight pattern, I have now experienced the coolest of all things cool. Have you ever been sitting outside on a simmering summer day when a butterfly lands right next to you and it’s so sweet and rare that you don’t even breathe for fear of scaring the little creature off? Well. My little creature (code name Jaden) actually pulled out the Junie B. Jones book I bought for him and has been reading quietly beside me for 20 minutes now! I’m actually about to pass out from the lack of oxygen. Don't scare it away. Don't scare it away!! For those of you unfamiliar with Junie B. Jones, they’re small chapter books averaging maybe 3 pictures from cover to cover. This is definitely a big moment when you consider the most frequently read books (by J) at our house consist mainly of onomatopoeia. This is a good day.

Jaden at Chicago Midway Airport

More than anything today though, I’ve really relished the time I’ve had to just watch his wide-eyed wonder at the world without the blinders (mine) of everyday responsibility. What a blessing to be trapped in 4 airports and 3 planes where there are no dishes to be washed and no laundry to be sorted and to have these hours to really see.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh I love moments like that. Latley I even tend to go under spped limit just to have peaceful times with the girls. What are you going for? Y'all have a good trip home!

Mary said...

That is so true! My kids are finally at the age to where if they are quiet and back in their rooms it just kills me to go get them and send them to the bathtub, dinner, bed, whatever! Ahhhh..... But you know, one day it will pass and I will wish they were back in the house running crazy....just not for awhile!

kristen lewis said...

What a big kid! You make me smile with the whole butterfly thing. So true.

Stacey said...

How awesome! I am so jealous of the time you are getting one on one with him. That is just priceless. Too cool. Can't wait to hear more. Have fun!! Talk to you soon!