Thursday, October 29, 2009

Geek Alert

So who knew we were a family of sci-fi convention going nerds? If you were about to answer, "I did!" well, you can kindly shut it. But the fact remains, we are. We packed up last week and headed to the big city to attend Star Wars Fan Days III. Yee haw! What an experience....I really wish we could've taken video of the entire con because there really are no words to explain it. Firstly, we were greeted at the door by what appeared to be a die hard Trekkie, complete with her Star Fleet uniform and plastic Vulcan ears. Now, for those of you that don't know your Star Wars, let me clue you in. It's not the same as Star Trek and the two generally don't mix. I kept waiting for someone to shank her.

So when we finally get through the registration line and into the place, we find that we really are in a galaxy far far away. Everyone in sight is either wearing a Star Wars t-shirt, carrying a play light saber or blaster, or dressed in full costume. I may have even heard two guys having a conversation in Shyriiwook (the language of the Wookies), but as I'm not personally fluent, I can't be sure.

Speaking of costumed convention goers, here's a pic of me in my Slave Leia costume.

Just kidding. Not that I needed to tell you that. And just for the record, Matt was the one who saw it necessary to snap this pic whilst I was desperately trying to divert the younglings' attention to a more appropriately dressed Storm Trooper. I'm not sure if cute little Leia was wearing anything under the skirt-like thingamabob but most of her posterior was visible every time she took a step. Yeesh.

Now we really did find a Storm Trooper. LOTS of troopers actually.


AND a real live R2D2...This little fella was not a prop. He really moved, spun, and talked.


Here's a random shot of the big kid exhibiting his fascination with the dark side (he requested we take this pic).


Don't ask me why there was a Freddy Kruger mannequin at the Star Wars con. He must've snuck in with the Trekkie.

Here he's posing with another strange character. We're not sure who this guy was supposed to be. Mandalorian Jedi? It's a mystery. He let J hold his uber-cool light saber though so he couldn't be all bad.


One of the activities available was a costume contest.

I don't know who this little guy was but isn't that an amazing costume?!! The homemade ones are by far the best in my opinion. I talked with this droid's parents and they told me he didn't win. Seriously? He was clearly 1st prize material. The parents told me, however, that the winner of the adult contest gave his prize (a several hundred dollar SW toy) to the boy because he also thought the kid was robbed.

Whew! This is getting long. Cut to the short story (too late). This next pic is for my mom because describing an Elvis Storm Trooper is just darn near impossible.


Here's a random pic of me because I deserve to show up in pics too darnit.


Here's a shot of some geeks, er, fans, getting a light saber lesson.



Future geeks honing their battle skills...


Matt taking in a live Podcast and talking with one of the ForceCast guys, respectively.


And finally, the cast (voice talent) of the animated series The Clone Wars was there! This was a big deal. The Clone Wars is the most current Star Wars production and the boys are ALL about watching the new episodes every Friday night. We got to meet them all and get their autographs and even snap pics with a few.

Here's Matt with the girl that voices Asajj Ventress...


Matt and the boys with Tom Kane who voices the narration beginning each episode, Yoda, and Admiral Yularen.


This is the guy who voices Anakin Skywalker....cute yes?


At the end of the second day the cast did a reading of an impromptu script. SO cool. This was easily my most favorite part of the con.

Not a great pic, but you get the idea.

After the reading we were getting ready to head out when Matt spotted the Clone Wars director Dave Filoni who was kind enough to let me snap a quick pic.

Matt was so excited I though he was going to try and kiss the guy. I think the matching beards and lanyards are cute. I'm gonna get Matt a hat like Dave's for Christmas. That way his costume for next year will be complete.

Now to outfit the rest of us...

4 comments:

Jill Hurley said...

oh wow. i see the sacrifice of marriage and parenthood in a whole new light now.

kristen lewis said...

They say that the family that geeks together stays together, right?

Becky said...

Last time we went to Space Center Houston, it was Star Wars day..... unbelieveable!!! I so can relate! Only....... we didn't go on purpose. The girls just aren't into Star Wars :)

Lori E. said...

Wow, you might as well have wrote that in German, because I have no idea what you are talking about, BUT, that looked like fun and what a great trip for the kids!! The whole Star Wars thing completely passed by us, and our kids. There are many more fans of Star Wars than not....we are the minority. LOVE the way you write. You crack me up!!!!