Saturday, September 19, 2009

Distractinator

So yesterday in the trusty ol' mini-van, my little chatterbox is chattering away and solving the mysteries of the universe:

Grant: Mommy, why did the Longhorns beat the Red Raiders?

Me: They didn't beat us last year, remember? We beat them!

Grant: Oh yeah! Well, have they ever beat us?

Me: Yes. Sometimes the Longhorns win, and sometimes Tech wins.

Grant: Oh Mommy, that's so nice! It's a compromise!


I wish I could be a fly on the wall of my children's brains and witness their thought processes. Everyday they simultaneously baffle and amaze me. One minute I'm SUPERmom....at one with the universe, my chi perfectly balanced, and both boys playing congenially in the backyard whilst discussing the proper method for skip counting. The next minute all hell breaks loose and I find myself refereeing a wrestling match straight out of the WWF. And all because "He KICKED my BALL over the FENCE and now I'll NEVER get it back. EVER!" Followed by "Nuh-uh!! I did NOT kick it over the fence!! I THREW it over the fence!"

Thank you Jesus for Francis Coppola Claret (take a trip to Pinkie's and buy a bottle. You'll thank me).

How exactly DO parents survive the whole child-rearing process?

Wine? Yes.

Denial? Definitely.

Distraction?

Oooooh, look at this cool picture of a tarantula made entirely out of Legos!



This was taken on Matt's phone while we were in Chicago. I've looked at this pic several times but only just NOW noticed the man in the background lying on his back on the mall floor. Um, yikes?

Distraction indeed.

4 comments:

Lori E. said...

I can so relate to the one minute they are getting along and there is peace and then the next minute chaos....you have to just savor the short peaceful minutes. The good thing is that boys get over it and start anew with every battle, where girls (like me) remember the stuff from "last time" and bring it into the new battle. Halarious about the guy on the floor of the mall (germ central) and the spider is amazing. Who would have the patience for that? NOT me.

Lori E. said...

PS, also love the picture at the top of your cute-cute blog!!

Mary said...

Ewwww!! Could have done without that pic! Coming home from Ruidoso today, saw several trantulas on the road!

Mary said...

I have to tell you that I thought of you while walking along the shops in Ruidoso. There was a little "plaque" in the window of a store, can't remember the exact saying, but it was something along the lines of needing a margarita. If I was rich, and could buy anybody anything, anytime, you'd have had a present!!!!